Tuesday, January 18, 2005

"Is it my fault that I felt like kissing in the temple?"

Found this post on a message board:

I was at a religious seminar in a Hindu Temple here in North America. The lady who was sitting before me had almost 80% of her back exposed. She was wearing a low cut blouse. Her husband is a very orthodox person, recites vedas for hours every week.

I was distracted by the way this woman was dressed. In fact, I felt like kissing her back.

I think it was her mistake that she was dressed inappropriately like that. I could not concentrate on the seminar topic. Is it my fault that I felt like kissing her? She was dressed to seek attention. What else?


My response:

This seems to be a troll. Yet this is a question that so many of us face at different levels in life. So, let me answer.

All of us have voluntary muscles and organs (arms, legs, eyes) as well as involuntary muscles and organs (heart, stomach, ears, etc.). The action of the involuntary organs are not under our control. Our only responsibility towards the involuntary organs is to keep our system healthy for their healthy functioning. Voluntary organs are in our control. If these organs do something wrong, we are responsible and at fault.

To fall in love, to feel like kissing, to be sexually excited, to grow in size, to blush, etc. are often functions of the involuntary organs. No one is to be blamed for them. As a consequence of this involuntary reaction/stimulation, if your voluntary muscles do something that would cause harm to yourself and/or to others, you are certainly at fault.

I hope this helps.

Swami Libran Lover

4 comments:

  1. Hope u understand why women are asked to cover their heads and wear covering clothes to religious places. Also, wearing flashy things was something my folks discouraged... this blog makes me realise why!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Swami Libran Lover"
    Some gyaan there - Simple yet profound..

    :)
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to add little more to "Swami Libran Lover"'s ghyan.I agree stimulation to kiss may be involuntary, but to actually kiss or not to kiss is most certainly voluntary action.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Arian. For some reason, what you said sounds very familiar... Almost as if I said it myself sometime, somewhere!

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.