Friday, January 30, 2004

Test for a Good Singer

Posted on January 30, 2004 20:23 PM EST

I am proposing a very simple test to judge for yourself if you sing well (in case you have any doubts, that is). Let me put a disclaimer here to say that there are exceptions to all rules and tests, including this one. I wrote this almost 5 years back. Rehashing it here.

I know lots of people who just can't sing, and I know there are lots of others who really want to sing, but lack the confidence. There are also many amateurs who do sing, but don't know if they are doing it well. To actually judge if a person really sings well, you need to consider a lot of factors, many of them very subtle and technical (w.r.t. music). But all those fundas are for professional singing.

I am no professional singer. I sing mostly for myself and whoever / whatever is fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to be within hearing distance when I am singing. Once in a while I might sing to impress a girl, but those once-in-a-while moments are becoming fewer and fewer. Unless I am sleeping or concentrating really really hard on a job at hand, chances are, I am singing a song - if not loud, at least in my heart. I have been known to sing even at times like brushing teeth, eating food, during a class lecture, or when some other song is playing on the radio / tape / stage. Sometimes, at work, I will burst out with a song all of a sudden, unexpectedly even to myself.

For the kind of 'personal singing' I am talking about, this simple test should be enough to judge if you are a good singer. Just see if you can say 'yes' to the following :

1. You listen to lots of music, have opinions about what you listen, and do regular singing (doesn't matter if it is in the privacy of your bathroom or in front of a big audience).

2. You enjoy your own singing and do it without any complexes or hangups or doubts or lack of confidence.

3. You always find yourself drifting off into the mood of the lyrics you are singing. I mean, if you are singing a sad song, you feel the sadness in it, and things like that, regardless of what is actually happening in your real life. Of course, if the lyrics reflect your life, all the better.

If you said yes to all of the above, you can take it from me that you sing well (yeah, I can tell that without even listening to your voice !)

16 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Good observation dear. I liked it.

    Good going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool
    i am a good singer and I am happy cuz i love to sing and have a vocal coach/singing teacher and am in several plays rite now and all my friends say that i ahve a good voice, but... i have stage fright~~ but i will try to be more confident now that a complete stranger has said that i am a good singer. i wish to have a long carrer in theatre and choir and singing, and I am only 13, so wish me luck! or pray for my sucess!
    thanks!
    ps
    good luck to all young and old aspiring singers out there!
    go `stros!
    God Bless America!
    Kristen Chenoweth and Aly and Aj (the do u believe in magic singers on disney) and K, my BFF yall all ROCK!!!!
    love ya
    cecile l`ete

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't find that helpful at all this is a way 4 people 2 embarras themself if i were u never ever put anything like this up again cause u "help" is horible love your tip hater

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm,,, this is totally incorrect. this has nothing to do with skill. just because you are confident in singing does not mean you are good. just because you love music, does not mean that either and so on and so on. if you answerd yes, to all of the above, that does not mean you are a good singer. it simply means that you are confident (or over confident) and relate to it and enjoy it very much. Judging skill, on the other hand, would take a whole different test to judge, (judging your sound, how you hold a note, skats, vibrato, blah blah blah. and most of all if you can really make the audience feel what you feel. )
    Although i did enjoy reading your test. At least it tells you if you have a heart for it or not. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rockstarpinkguitar said
    Totally wrong. It's just test i know someone who has alot of confidence and doesn't really sing that well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm a good singer. I'm 11 and have a good voice. I can ALMOST sing Barracuda by Heart. I have issues with the high notes. Any one have tips for that? And anyone have tips for stage fright? I've got that too. I sing all the time and I've gotton much better, but I'm lacking ability to sing HIGH! I NEED TIPS OR ADVICE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous - I am afraid this may not be the best forum for you to get advice on improving your singing skills. I am only a casual kitchen-and-bathroom singer. Have you checked the rest of the wider Internet? I am sure there are sites out there which could give you some guidance. But in these matters, the best guidance is received from a qualified teacher in person. Good luck with your singing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi this test is silly.

    If wanna know if can sing, recording is great way, 2nd try singing into a wall (close) this way the sound returns to your ears with some volume. Singing in shower MIGHT give idea tho it will flatter voice somewhat - need to be objective and have taste and ofcourse not be tone deaf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!

    I hope I'm a good singer. People seem to think so coz I sing in restaurants are places like that when I am 11. I sing in a big church choir in a Cathedral and it is SO boring! I wanna be just like Taylor Swift! What do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Izzy,

    I have read somewhere that to be good at anything, you need about 10,000 hours of practice. After that, you should continue to learn, practice and renew your skills forever.

    Hope that helps.

    LL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol, thanks for the compliment: i said yes to all of the above, but trust me, i sound okay to myself but when i play it back on video... ouch

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANKS...YOU REALLY BOOSTED MY CONFEDIDENESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you soo much. I though i was a good singer but i wasn't sure of what others thought. you have givin me confidence!
    thanks!!!
    -Lilayr

    ReplyDelete
  14. I answered all the questions yes. :) I remember one time I was singing, I got so into the song, I started crying! XD I definitely take my music seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.