Friday, October 28, 2005

Notes from the Future - 1 (My Buddy)

Important: As far as I know, the device called Buddy does not exist in the year 2005. The name, design, concept, features and functions of the gadget named Buddy (also referred to as My Buddy) are the intellectual property of Libran Lover alone, pending patent processing. Any unauthorized use of the name, design, concept, features and functions of the Buddy will be in violation of the law governing patents, copyrights and goodwill. If anyone wants to turn the concept of this fantasy device Buddy into a reality, they are welcome to contact Libran Lover.

My city is blanketed with cheap wireless Internet access at broadband speeds. I can access the Internet from literally ANYWHERE in the city, even when I am travelling in my car or the bus. Almost overnight, this has revolutionized my lifestyle.

The Wi-Fi Net access is not free... yet. We all know it will be free at sometime in the future. But for now, it is not costly either.

Back in 2005, I used to pay a little over 50 US dollars for my cable broadband service alone. In addition, I had other expenses like a big cell phone bill (for voice and text messages), and a bigger international calls bill for my calls to India. Cable TV services were extra, of course.

Compare that to what I have today. I pay my Internet service provider (ISP) 50 US dollars to access wireless Internet using gadgets, with upto 5 unique IP addresses, from anywhere in the world. And this takes care of all my communication needs. Yes, I do mean all: my cell phone, my long distance phone calls, my home phone, my cable TV and computer.

If I want to access Wi-Fi with more devices, having more IP addresses, I have to pay extra. But as you will see below, 5 IP addresses is an overkill for me. By the way, these are static IP addresses I am talking about. IPv6 has made it possible for everybody in the world and everyone of their devices to have static IP addresses. What's more, intelligent gadget design has actually made it possible for an individual to need fewer and fewer IP addresses. You will read more about it below.

First, I want to introduce you to my Buddy. It (I always have to remember to refer to this gadget as it and not a he or a she like most people do. Irritating!) is actually called a Buddy 6-Gen. We just refer to it as Buddy. And it is an extraordinary palm-sized, cellphone-sized device. I just got the newest sixth generation model for $399. I know that is too much money for a gadget which will probably become old design in 6-8 months, and I did not want to buy it. But my wife bought it for my birthday last month, and I am glad she did. My Buddy is a classy black device, with a FULL screen front. That's right, a FULL touchscreen front. No physical keys (well, except for four). The virtual keys appear on the touchscreen whenever I need them. And the screen is so big, clear and beautiful!

Before you get too bored with the physical description of my Buddy, let me list its functions:

1. It is my wallet - stores my ID, driver's license, credit cards, debit cards, cheque book, library card, club cards, house keys, car keys, desk keys, auto and medical insurance cards, and I don't even remember what else. In short, it stores everything I had in my physical wallet in the old days (including pics of my wife and kids), except physical currency notes and coins.

2. It is my universal phone - cell phone, home phone, office phone, car phone.

3. It is my universal modem - connects every device in my home to the Internet.

4. It is my universal media player - personal audio player, car audio player, home audio player, including radio. But it is not limited to audio. It has video functionality also.

5. It is my universal remote control - for every device in my home.

6. It is my personal computer with a 100GB of flash memory (that's right; no spinning hard disk).

My Buddy as a Wallet:
When I receive a card, any card (credit card, insurance card, library card), I call the issuing organization using through my Buddy and enter the card number. They send back a highly encrypted secure digital key, which is stored in my Buddy. Now my Buddy is as good as the card. I lock away the card in my home. When I need to use the card... for example, when I have to use my credit card at a store, I press a button on my Buddy and it sends out a Bluetooth signal with my encrypted secure key. The store's receiver accepts the key, validates it and completes my purchase. The whole process takes less than a minute to complete.

So, can anybody who steals my Buddy use my credit card? Yes and no. Yes, if I am foolish enough to leave my Buddy open to hacking. No, if I have chosen my security setting with care. The Buddy offers different levels of security which are all optional:

1. You cannot start or use the Buddy in any manner without entering a password or placing your finger on the fingerprint sensor or both.

2. You cannot start or use any or all of the software applications or cards stored in the Buddy without entering a password or placing your finger on the fingerprint sensor or both.

3. The password entering and fingerprint sensing can be done on the Buddy or the store's system or on both.

As you can see, there are many levels and combinations of security settings possible. If I wanted maximum security on something, I would do ALL of the following:

1. Setup my Buddy to start only after entering right password and using the correct finger on the fingerprint sensor of the Buddy.

2. In addition, setup my card or software application to be usable only after entering the right password and using the correct finger on the fingerprint sensor of the Buddy, for the second time.

3. In addition, configure my Buddy so that it is necessary for me to use a password and finger print on the store's system, for the third time.

This gives me three levels of protection, using passwords and fingerprints. But most of us don't bother to have such high security. We just use our fingerprints on the Buddy - fingerprint to switch on the Buddy, and fingerprint scan on the Buddy only for financial transactions. We are not comfortable leaving our finger prints on store machines.

Just as every card has an ecrypted secure digital key, our homes, cars, desks... literally anything which needs a lock and key has an electronic lock now. And, each of these locks can be configured to open with a Bluetooth signal from the Buddy and/or our fingerprints. For my home and car, I use the digital key from my Buddy and my fingerprint.

I guess I don't have to tell you how my wife and kids' pictures are stored on the Buddy. In fact, the Buddy has dozens of pictures stored on its flash memory. However, I have thousands more pictures stored on the Internet, and I can access them all using my Buddy.

As for physical currency... I have stopped carrying them. There are still some (mostly older) people who walk around with physical money. I used to do that too during the initial days that I started using the Buddy, but then I found that I almost never had to use the physical money anywhere. So, I put them away in the locker at my home. I think they will be valuable antiques sometime in the future... probably before I die.

Rest of My Buddy's features continued in Notes from the Future - 2...

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Havent had the time to read the entire post. But a few pointers.

    1. State clearly at the beginning of the post that the idea is your intellectual property and is protected.

    2. Why are you marrying your ideas to Google? I am personally not a big fan of google but setting my personal biases aside, don't you think that is kind of limiting your ideas to a particular framework? Perhaps there is a better person who can do more justice to your ideas.

    Will talk more.

    -Sh

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm...interesting...

    as 'someone' said, why marry it to google?

    and put the disclaimer in the beginning....

    I seriously thought till I reached the end, that there was something like this...and was shocked I had no idea about it..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sh and Gingko. Soon after I published the blog, I suspected that it was a mistake to associate My Buddy with Google. You guys confirmed it. As such, I have removed all references to Google in this blog. Thanks once again for your valuable comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe.

    Pinch-pinch. Wake up. Buddy wil be a nice device, but it won't be able to access the GigaGigaHertz3D Hologram network without the additional TriFi embedded bio antenna introduced last fall. roduction coats on the TriFi are still high, so it is a $1,200 option to the current Buddy models. Only Executive level salary people can afford it.

    Reality bites. There will always be elite devices for elite income earners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent idea.

    you need to spend more time to look at business/legal issues rather than technical. technical is the easy part

    - what happens when a user loses the MyBuddy phone? Does the finder of the phone get access to the user's wallet?

    - How are you going to make money?
    - charge transactions?
    - advertisements?
    - or other?

    Like another person said - this device will be expensive!!
    - What/Who is your target market?
    - If it is the jetsetter executive - they don't care for WiFi. For them it is any device that you can power on and start talking - forget IP addresses and such.

    - Even in a VoIP world Free is not entirely free. You need to charge user's to pay for PSTN calls. Every country has laws on reaching PSTN lines and termination charges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous,

    Thanks for your comment. Here's my response to each of your points:

    1. Right now, I am looking at the Buddy as purely an all-in-one dream device, as just a hardware platform. Once the hardware is ready and available, people will come up with countless ways to offer services on it. This is no different from what is happening with the computer, after it became common device in everybody's homes.

    2. I have addressed what happens when the Buddy is lost in the blog. The finder's access to your wallet is restricted by what kind of password and access restrictions (finger-print or other biometric recognition) you have configured on the Buddy. It is the same as if a burglar were to get at your computer right now.

    3. Like I said in point 1 above, right now, I am not thinking about how money can be made, beyond selling a great hardware platform to millions of people around the world.

    4. All devices are expensive to begin with. Eventually, the prices go down.

    5. The target market is EVERYBODY! Just like the target for computers is everybody.

    6. While the jetsetter executive might not care too much about WiFi or the details any other underlying technology, I do believe that they will care deeply for all the features and functionality a WiFi device will give them. Eg: A WiFi handheld MyBuddy will give them access to the resources of their company network in a much better way than most non-WiFi devices do. That would be VERY useful for everybody. Also, a WiFi device could more easily connect to the company's internal telephone network so that calls made to your office extension are received on the Buddy. That way, you'll have just one phone inside and outside the office! Those are just two examples of the usefulness of WiFi phones. There are many many more.

    7. VoIP may not be 100% free right now. But I do believe that there will be a time when voice calls will be 100% free, meaning that we won't be paying for calling service by itself. We will be paying for one common data plan, and making free calls to ANYBODY in the world over that data connection. The only exception will be people who charge you for calling them, such as the 1-900 sex chat channels. ;-)

    LL

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.