Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Red Carpet - Book Review

Read Lavanya Sankaran's The Red Carpet - Bangalore Stories recently. It is a collection of short stories, all of them set in Bangalore.

It is only incidental that the stories take place in Bangalore. They might as well have taken place in any big city of South India, or for that matter, even the North. Most of the stories, except for the title story The Red Carpet itself, are about Tamil Brahmin (Tambram) Iyer families. As such the stories are more about contemporary Tambrams, than about anything to do with Bangalore.

The occasional appearance of Kannada words and phrases in the stories seemed contrived, where as, the Tamil words seemed to blend in nicely. In fact, one of the Kannada phrases was not even grammatically correct. If you belong to an upper middleclass non-Kannadiga family in Bangalore, it is quite possible for you to grow up in Bangalore without really becoming fluent in the local Kannada language.** I suspect the author Lavanya Sankaran might be one of those.

The stories themselves are very well written. They effortlessly pull the reader into the lives of the characters. I found myself empathizing with the hopes and dreams and pains and fears of the characters even before reading through the first page of each story. For me, the most touching story was "Mysore Coffee", about Sita, a working girl who is haunted by childhood memories of her father's suicide. She is brilliant at her work, but not very savvy in communicating with colleagues. As such, others end up taking credit for all her hard work. Although I could empathize with the character Sita, I could never understand how (Spoiler Warning - don't read the rest of this paragraph if you don't want to know what happens at the end of the story) someone would rather think of destroying all their hardwork and even contemplate suicide, than speak up in the office. Strange!

Another great thing about this book was, to read about characters who are so similar to my own self. The state of contemporary Indian literature (and TV, movies) is that, we hardly ever get to read (or watch) about characters who are similar to us - average, young, educated, working people, around the age of 30 (give or take a few years), straddling Indian family traditions and values, the influence of Western cultures and ethics, combined with the unavoidable exposure to the global economy, whether we are living in India or the US or elsewhere. It was a refreshing change to be able to read about such characters in this book. I guess that is a big part of the reason why I could so easily empathize with all the characters.

I found the stories to be sincerely written - nothing pretentious or artificial about them. There was certainly nothing in the stories which seemed to be packaged as exotic Indian fare for the foreign audience. These are the times when many writers and movie-makers are using the Indian themes to target foreign and/or NRI audiences. We should commend Lavanya Sankaran for not succumbing to that trap.

A highly recommended book.



**Yes, it is quite possible to grow up in Bangalore and not really learn Kannada. At home, you'd speak your own mother tongue; at school and work, you'd speak English (and a little Hindi, and even your own mother tongue if ran into others who knew it); with the other essential services people like shopkeepers, etc. you can speak English, Hindi, your own mother tongue (especially if it happens to be Tamil or Telugu) and a smattering of broken Kannada; most of your Kannadiga friends will also be nice enough to talk to you in English, Hindi or your own mother tongue (if they know it), before they attempt to talk to you in Kannada.

15 comments:

  1. Is there a glossary included? One of the things that took away from my understanding and appreciation of R. Mistry's books was not knowing some of the dialogue.
    -Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear about the book first here..Will try and catch a copy though I may have to go to India to get it?? When you spoke about not knowing Kannada I am with you on tht...I am not a kannidiga...In school it was always English. At home yes, I spoke my mother tongue and english, with friends it was English again and shopkeeps...Ahem...They all knew Malayalam and those who didnt knew good english. SO I never had to talk in any other language...The only time I began to grasp a few words of kannada was when I had to catch an Auto to return home from college and didnt want the auto guy to think I can be taken for a ride...I would then ask him "Domlur Bar-ta-i-thia"...My friend smade fun of me as it meant somethng else....Then when I began work too I always attempted to talk a little bit of Kannada or slangish Kannada...Oops..i drifted from the book but sure will catch it and the name of the book is not something which I can forget easiy! Reminds me of RajBhavan for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter - There was no glossary for the native language words. However, you don't have to worry. The Kannada and Tamil phrases are very, very few. The meaning of most of them is mentioned right where they occur and/or the meaning is usually obvious from the context. Not knowing their meaning, in NO way takes away the enjoyment of the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP - You don't have to look for the book in India. You'll probably find it at your local Barnes & Noble. If not, you can always order it online. The link is provided in my blog. It is also worth checking your local library to see if they have a copy. If you live in a big American city, they most probably will. I got my copy from the local library. In fact, my library did not have the book and I suggested it to them. After that, it was a matter of waiting for a couple of months before the book was available. I was the first reader! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah...Let me try getting my hand on a copy...
    How u doin AS,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recommendation! It was a good summer read! Having spent a week in Bangalore in June, it was fun to recognize some of the landmarks. The comment in one of the stories about the airplane warning light on top of a low building being so low that the plane would be on the runway momentarily had me in stiches!
    -Peter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey,
    This is G3 too lazy to choose an identity. Very good review. Will read this and I am sure to like it.
    Thanks once again for taking the time to post this on CH.
    I got a good price on amazon but I may just get it from Barnes on my way home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by, Geethree. I am sure you'll like the book. If you don't mind used books, you can always get great deals at half.com (half price or less, as the name indicates).

    Oh, btw, if you don't want to register to get an identity to comment, you can always click on the 'Other' radio button and just type in your name, instead of commenting as anonymous. It won't ask you to enter a password or register. Please remember that next time you leave a comment on my blog... and I hope there will be a next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    I finally got around reading this book and finding it very interesting. I have completed the first three stories and could identify with parts of every single one of them.

    A) Bombay this: the character KK[ROFL on what the words stand for:-)))] completely intrigued me and we had "him" in our gang growing up in Chennai. This actually made me get in touch with him after so many years. However, I thought Ashwini's characterization was incomplete IMO.

    B) Closed curtains: this brought a tear in my eye and reminded me of this uncle who stayed opposite to my house in Chennai. The story was very simple and nothing overtly dramatic about the incident. The appeal was in the simplicity of the narration.

    c) Two four six eight - oh, god, this brought back memories of my schooling and our gang at school. What is with tam Brahms and convents? Fortunately, my ayah [her name was Saraswathi] was awesome and I still love her very much. This story about a willful young girl and her manipulative nanny engaging in histrionics was a delight to read.

    I am currently reading the fourth story the "red carpet" and will post later once I am done with the book, if you are still interested.

    There are some portions of the "red carpet" that I can fiercely identify with but it’s too personal to post here.
    Overall, thanks LL for recommending this book and I am enjoying the read very much indeed. I wish I had brought the book into work but I forgot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. G3 - Glad to know you are enjoying the book. A few weeks ago, I read Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies. That is a collection of short stories, revolving mostly around desis in America. I came to know that the Interpreter of Maladies won the Pulitzer Prize. I was really surprised. The stories were enjoyable, no doubt. But I am not sure they are so great as to win the highest literary award. In fact, I like The Red Carpet much better.

    LL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you read the Kite runner?
    If you have not, I suggest you give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think our u mallus/tamilians have taken kannadiga hospitality for granted.Learn kannada,stop insulting it,people like you are responsible the rise of militant kannada organisations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LL
    Have u read "Clive Avenue"? It is a well-written book dealing with the impact of globalization on tambram traditions and culture, as well as the social and cultural dilemmas of US educated tambrams returning to India.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  14. S - I had never heard of 'Clive Avenue'. Sounds like an interesting book, although I am not a Tambram myself. I might check it out one of these days. Is it fiction or non-fiction?

    PS: If you wish to write to me directly, you can always write to libranlover-at-gma1l-d0t-cam.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LL,
    Clive Avenue is fictional and if I remember right,it's written by a nephew of RK Narayan. I recommend Kite Runner as well.
    Happy reading!
    S

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.