Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Driving in America

This post is inspired by Priyamvada's recent post The Highway. Priya's post has metaphors and analogies galore. But I am going to set those aside and talk just about driving in the US.

Like her, I too have reflected on how much of driving is based on trust - trust of the people who put up the signs, trust of the other people with whom we share the road. This is one of the things about the US that I am amazed about: regardless of how remote a location is, if there is a road, there are proper, well-maintained signs. It seems like every last aspect of the road and driving conditions are considered and taken care of, including posting the most optimum speed limits for the changing curves and gradients, designation of passing lanes and stretches, etc. I can't remember a single instance of missing or bad signs on American roads. Of course, there are some residential localities where I have heard the residents wish they had speed humps or additional stop signs. But the busier highways and roads never let us down.

Coming from India, this amazes me no end. In India, driving is not about trust. It is about blind faith in our own life-line. We can never trust any signs, signals, directions or other people who share the road with us. We can never lean back and truly enjoy driving because anything could happen at any time! I mean, literally anything! There is no telling what we might encounter all of a sudden, with absolutely no warning or signs - an animal or a person lying right in the middle of the road, another vehicle travelling in the wrong direction or against the signal, a dip or a hump or a big open ditch. Anything is possible! Other Indians would know what I am talking about. No wonder that 2006's accident statistics of just one Bangalore city shows an average of three deaths and seventeen injuries per day due to accidents! I am so thankful to whatever agencies maintain the American roads and signs. It is not only a job truly well-done; more importantly, it is the result of a healthy respect for life and property. Something that's sorely lacking in India.

3 comments:

  1. I share similar sentiments. Just back from Blore, I too felt tht driving there is based on "I DONT KNOW WHTS ITS BASED ON"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ".. India, driving is not about trust. It is about blind faith in our own life-line. "

    LOL - good one! My state in the US I believe doesn't rank very high with signs. There's a highway that loops around, and some of the exits flood easily. They don't post signs there saying there is (easy) danger of flooding. Another crib of mine is that at intersections of highways, there's this little sign to the side of the road - which, if you miss, you miss taking the right road. Other states/cities I have been in have prominent signs posted on top of the road, which is a lot easier to follow.

    But all said and done, driving in America is a lot easier than driving in des (which I haven't attempted).

    Priya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libran Lover,

    Hi, how have you been. It's an excellent blog that you have. Nice stuff.

    One thing that I noticed on your blog is the "Labels" on your side bar, in the form of a list.

    I'd like to place the list of "Labels" on my blog. It works like a research tool. I would like to ask you what was the programing test that you used for that (I think it is called "hrml", but I'm not sure).

    My e-mail: quinasdabola@yahoo.com

    Thanks a bunch and continue the good posts!
    Quinas

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.