Monday, December 06, 2004

Watching the naachwalis!

Posted on December 6, 2004 18:4 PM EST

We had been to this colleague-friend's home for dinner on Saturday. When we gather socially with friends and colleagues, I prefer that we sit together and talk, with may be some background music. But my preference seems to be the exception among most desis I know. These people prefer to switch on the TV, sit in front/around it and then talk! I can't pay attention to the TV nor to the conversation. I hate that atmosphere.

On Saturday, after dinner, people wanted to watch some Hindi movie songs. Our gracious host played a DVD and the big screen filled up with the Sharaara Sharaara song. The video was complete with partially clothed desi babes doing variety of suggestive gyrations. And then it occurred to me!

This is what occurred to me: In the olden days, before the times of movies and TVs, if I wanted to watch a similar dance by similar naachwaalis, not only would I have to shell out a lot of money, I would also earn a very bad reputation for patronizing such "artiste"! Today, I watch it for free, at home, among friends and family of different age groups and both genders, and nobody is bothered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.