Monday, February 21, 2005

If Dad is taking a shower with mom, DO NOT tell your BPO rep!


BPO Honest Case Log (Click for bigger pic!)

Disclaimer: I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the above screenshot. It could well be a hoax. May be a BPO Urban Legend. But read on...

The above screenshot came to me in an email forwarded to a bunch of people in different parts of the world. Apparently, it is a funny "Example of honest case logging" at the call center of a prominent multinational company, selling computers worldwide, whose name allegedly begins with 'D'. I do not know where the call center is located. It could be anywhere in the world. It is not possible to guess from the name of the BPO representative who created this case log, which part of the world he belongs to.

The humor in the case is apparent and I suppose we could laugh about it. But what concerns me is that, the above screenshot came to me without the personal information of the call center employee and the customer being blacked out. I blacked them out before posting here! And the original screenshot without black-outs is probably being forwarded by people via email to their friends across the world, as I type this. Pretty soon email users around the world would have seen it.

In the original screen shot I received, you could see the customer's first name and last name, his email address and telephone number. You could also see the call center employee's first name and last name. I think it is the employee's true name because it did not sound like a Westernized name which call center people use for their Western customers. I could be wrong, of course.

Just to check further, I called the customer's phone number and asked for him by name. A female voice answered. She told me that he is not home right now and I should call later. So, the customer's information is probably true too!

If you were that customer, the world knows what you were doing with your wife at a particular time, on a particular date. The world also knows your email address and phone number. They can call you or write to you to discuss it with you! Think about it. Scary, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    U know what the Murphy's Law says:
    "TO ERR IS HUMAN BUT TO MESS UP SOMETHING YOU NEED A COMPUTER"
    We are all hell bent on messing up our lives in some way or the other constantly by our misadventures with the so called "technology"..we asked for it..WE meaning humanity in general...usha

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.