Sunday, April 03, 2005

Heartache for R!

I was at a friend's place this evening. We were drinking and listening to songs in the background. They were playing a CD with recorded songs from Kandukonden Kandukonden, Alai Paayuthe and Kaakka Kaakka. All of these are songs which remind me of R. Felt very sad listening to them.

I met R close to an year ago in a chat room. We hit it off instantly. Our first topic of conversation was the female butt, of all the things in the world! It did not take long for R to have a crush on me without ever having seen me. I was not very convinced because she is about 8 years younger than me.

I met her when I was in India last July. When we were together face to face, the 8 years age difference did not seem like a big thing. We liked each other. We committed to each other.

I came back to the US, having spent barely a month in India. R continued with her final year bachelor's course. Meanwhile, her parents came to know that we loved each other. They disapproved solely because of caste differences. I am sure that if I belonged to their caste, they would have been very happy about our association and given us their blessings.

For me, there were no blessings. Instead, her father sent me a very frank email in which he made it very clear that this relationship would not have his approval and that it would bring down the stature of their family in the community.

I felt very bad to read that email. Nobody who has been associated with me has ever felt that their stature has been lowered. I have always tried to live my life such that people who personally interact with me go away being/feeling enriched or better than they were when they came. And here was somebody who was almost a total stranger telling me that association with me would reduce the stature of his family in society!

It was not a good time for R. She was a very young person, just a student who was dependent on her parents for everything, including the means to communicate with me. There was a coldwar-like atmosphere in her home. She could not talk to me on the phone. She had to get up in the middle of the night and chat with me in stealth, and run away when somebody in the home woke up.

I was not there in India to share things with her. I was not there, close to her or with her. She was with her family, which totally opposed our feelings and interaction. We did not have any opportunities to share our feelings, thoughts and lives like young lovers usually should. All we had was the stealthy chat.

We started to have doubts about the feasibility of our relationship. I had doubts because of the difference in our age. She had doubts about being able to go against her family. We decided to split.

It's been just over 6 months since we decided to split. But it seems so much longer. And I am still sad. I don't know what went wrong. We were both nice, young people. Nothing wrong with either of us. We never desired bad things for others. We never wronged others. We just wanted to be together and share our lives and be happy. What went wrong?

A couple of months or so after we split up, she came back to me, asking to take her back. But I Told her that I did not love her anymore like I used to. I hurt her. And now she thinks we are not meant to be together.

We were/are both appreciative of each other. We really like each other and how we are and our individual talents and natures. She is very pretty, smart, talented and wise. She accepted me as I am, knowing all my shortcomings, my mistakes, my past. She accepted me as I am, with no complaints, without asking for anything about me to be different. She called me an "adorable goundar rapist", with affection. She was the first person to address me as kanna! And, she is the only person to have told me that she wants to bear my children!

I don't know what I ever did to deserve that much love and acceptance. After a long, long time, she was the person whom I really thought of as my wife. I loved referring to her as my girlfriend. I loved belonging to her. I liked being possessive of her and having the feeling returned. I thought I was finally settled for in life.

I don't know what went wrong. All I know is that, neither one of us deserved all that pain. And both of us are unhappy. I miss her youthful enthusiasm and affection and admiration. We are both just nice young people, who never wished anything bad for anyone. We deserved better. My heart aches!

7 comments:

  1. Kanna vandhu aval kannathile muthhamittal avanudiya kanmani ku romba sandhosham

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you believe you have a 10 % chance of putting things back, give it a shot. Such things come along rarely!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh for goodness sake LL, please connect with her again. You dont find women like that often!! I have a saying for you....dont doubt your beliefs and dont believe your doubts!! I heard a very wise man of God say that once...and it has helped me sort out every single dillemma, since then!!

    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many people have asked me the question, "What is an Ayahuasca journey like?"

    For certain each journey is completely an individual experience, and while there are similarities between journeys, each one is completely unique. The only universal advice that I have been able to come up with about Ayahuasca is that the master lesson of this incredible feminine teacher is fundamentally about, 'letting go'.

    You are shown the beauty of nature; you are shown the infinite nature of everything. You are brought healing and understanding in a way that will humble you, and make you cry. But in order to get there, you first have to let go.

    It seems simple. But in fact it is one of the most difficult things for some. We all tend to hold on to so much. We hold on to our egoist ideas of self. We identify with our jobs or our families, and loose a sense of who we really are. We want to hide and we can't bear to be exposed.

    But when the traumas and uncertainties of life begin to bear down on us, we become receptive to learning a new way. The arrival of the goddess, that is the plant teacher Ayahuasca, is definitely a story about 'when the student is ready, then the teacher will appear'.

    One of the things that happens with Ayahuasca, is that all of the defenses are stripped away. If you carry with you, a human edifice that looks down on the rest of humanity, then that human edifice is separated from you, so that you can have a look at it, and see it for what it is.

    While the exposure can be emotionally painful; the goddess is so unbelievably loving and caring. It is almost like she takes you by the hand. At times you are holding on for dear life, but she is always there, simply asking you to trust her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many people have asked me the question, "What is an Ayahuasca journey like?"

    For certain each journey is completely an individual experience, and while there are similarities between journeys, each one is completely unique. The only universal advice that I have been able to come up with about Ayahuasca is that the master lesson of this incredible feminine teacher is fundamentally about, 'letting go'.

    You are shown the beauty of nature; you are shown the infinite nature of everything. You are brought healing and understanding in a way that will humble you, and make you cry. But in order to get there, you first have to let go.

    It seems simple. But in fact it is one of the most difficult things for some. We all tend to hold on to so much. We hold on to our egoist ideas of self. We identify with our jobs or our families, and loose a sense of who we really are. We want to hide and we can't bear to be exposed.

    But when the traumas and uncertainties of life begin to bear down on us, we become receptive to learning a new way. The arrival of the goddess, that is the plant teacher Ayahuasca, is definitely a story about 'when the student is ready, then the teacher will appear'.

    One of the things that happens with Ayahuasca, is that all of the defenses are stripped away. If you carry with you, a human edifice that looks down on the rest of humanity, then that human edifice is separated from you, so that you can have a look at it, and see it for what it is.

    While the exposure can be emotionally painful; the goddess is so unbelievably loving and caring. It is almost like she takes you by the hand. At times you are holding on for dear life, but she is always there, simply asking you to trust her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. give us an update dude. bring out the champagne. who cares if you trod on someone while getting there. as long as you are getting all the sympathy. all the world loves a lover. only his past conquests know what he really is on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I can understand that feeling. I am also suffering from that heartache. Atleast you are in a city where you have a lot of other things to do. But I'm in a city where I had nobody other than her... We were here in this city, away from our home. Now think of my situation.. I'm in night shifts and I have the whole evening staring at me... without having anything to do..

    She is also facing the same....
    We both want to be together but the parents dont... And we are in a situation where we cant hurt them.
    so we decided to split.

    WE DONT DESERVE THIS.............
    we never hurted anyone...

    LIFE IS NOT FAIR......

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.