Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Johnjay and Rich on KISS FM - Phoenix deserves better!

You know something is quite not right when a couple of radio talk show hosts ask listeners to call in and say what body parts they are missing, on a casual morning talk show (not a medical talk show). To my disbelief, that is precisely what happened on this morning's Johnjay and Rich radio talk show on 104.7 KISS FM, broadcasting out of Phoenix.

There was a lady on the show (someone named Michelle?), who happened to mention that her professor was missing a finger. So, Johnjay and Rich, who are bereft of bright ideas for their show, decided to have listeners call in and say what body parts they are missing, "in honor of Michelle's professor, who is missing a finger"! We know that intelligence is not an important requirement for a radio jockey's job in the US, but can't we at least expect some maturity from them? I mean, these are not 7-year-old boys who derive morbid pleasure out of handicaps and accident victims, right? Couldn't these guys come up with a better topic of discussion on the morning after a 100,000-strong march in Phoenix?

Meanwhile, "Michelle" was being a total bimbo! Some of the gems she said on radio in her high-on-sugar-teenager tone and voice:

"So, we have these people call us and tell us what parts they are missing. And then, we say, 'Okay bye'?"

"In case my professor wants to sue the station or something, I just want to say on air that she is a really good person and I don't want you guys to do this."

"If you want to make fun of someone, don't talk about my professor. Talk about my friend who has a hook for a hand. Or my friend who has to go to the bathroom in a bag." (The last friend has a medical condition because of which she is not able to "go to the bathroom" in the bathroom. She wants them to make fun of her friends and not her professor because her friends will probably not sue?).

"Stop talking about this because it hurts my stomach. I can't stand talk about missing body parts and ...(I forget what else she mentioned here) because it hurts my stomach." (So she wants them to stop their disgusting charade because it hurts her stomach. Not because it is indecent!)

"I can't stand this talk. At 10:01, I am getting out of this station." (She said this at around 8:55 AM. 10 AM is when the talk show ends. She couldn't stand the talk, so she is going to leave AFTER the talk ends?)

What was Johnjay-and-Rich's defense for their indecent and insensitive stunt? "Hey, we are just asking them what body parts they are missing and how they lost them. We are not treating them differently or anything. It is those people who don't want us to talk about this, that think these people are different!" Yeah, right!

Great going, KISS FM! You suspended Crazy Kid, just because he happened to say some bitter truths, which some hypersensitive morons thought to be politically incorrect. You totally disrespected the much vaunted and flaunted American Freedom of Speech. You trashed the Kid and Ruben show, which was smarter, funnier and MUCH better in every way. And the best you could do was give us these immature jokers, Johnjay and Rich? Come on KISS FM, Phoenix deserves much better stuff on its airwaves first thing in the morning!

12 comments:

  1. See this is why I don't like the talk shows here...really, listening to Radio Mirchi in Mumbai is an awesome experience. The rj's are sooo cool and with it. What's with the rj's here?! You've just described what happens on a typical day in a typical talk show on the radio.
    After umpteen such episodes, here's my take on the situation. Either they [the rj's] really do suck and I'm totally out of it and don't really "get it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont like johnjay and rich... but i know how to turn the channel.. there are more morning shows... i just takes a push of the button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Amy, if you are smart enough to know how to turn the channel, aren't you smart enough to know that *I* know how to turn the channel too? However, I reserve my right as a blogger to sometimes experience things which suck and then blog about them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that they get paid to be educational and intelligent. It is morning radio and there are other options if that is what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate - I listen to them more often now, and I agree that they can be entertaining at times. But more often, they are exasperating, irritating or simply quite dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Johnjay and Rich are okay, if you are in Jr. high or have the intelligence of a junior high student.

    Johnjay has no imagination whatsoever and takes the bits he does ( which I assume come from someone with a brain, such as Carrie or Rich ) way too far. He is trying to be a 'shock jock' without the headaches that go along with being a real one ( like Howard Stern for instance ). He is a wannabe and a follower. I think they should be allowed to be on the air, however i think some of the lower frequency AM channels would be a better venue for the show. Kid and Rueben were a REAL morning show. They had something you cannot copy - they had originality, passion and chemistry. Ah well, like it has been pointed out before - I know how to work the radio buttons to shut them up, I just wish I didn't have to. I wish I could turn on KIIS and here Ruebens infectious laughter and Kids insight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous,

    Your comments are spot on. Thanks for taking the time to write here.

    Do you know what Kid & Ruben are upto these days? I wish they would come back at least on some other local station. Even Corrina seems to have left the station now. I liked her too.

    LL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think John Jay and Rich at times can be total idiots but i do give them much credit for coming up with the Human Flag right after 9/11. Good job boys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a bunch of fickle morons. these people obviously listen to the show enough to comment about it. If they're so stupid and immature, why haven't you had a problem listening to them thus far. The show is for entertainment, and they do a damn good job at it. Keep it up guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey LL -

    Do you listen to the radio? Kid and Reuben have been the morning talk show hosts on 101.5 for awhile now ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was totally into Kid and Ruben until the unfortunate incident. I planned to never listen to that station again and then Johnjay and Rich came along and made me laugh out loud every morning. I tried to listen to Kid and Ruben on their new station, and couldnt do it. Kid was pretty cool, but Ruben is a complete moron and I just cant listen to his moronic laugh one more time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're just a hater. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion I guess. I don't think Ruben is such a "moron" as you like to call him mr. "anonymous". I actually think he's pretty cool too. That's why they're so popular because they're both cool. Yeah, I didn't know they were back until my friend Harli told me. And that was like 2 months ago. I listen to them every morning and they're as good as they were on Kiss if not better.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.