Sunday, February 24, 2008

Do NOT Buy from A1wireless & Wirefly

If you are in the market for new cellphones, do not buy from the following websites:

A1Wireless
Wirefly

Both of the above websites are owned by Inphonic Inc, which is now calling itself Simplexity.

If you do a search for Inphonic rebates, you will find that this company is notorious for avoiding the payment of mail-in rebates to its customers. It has even been sued over its bad rebate practices. This was in Nov 2006. In November 2007, the company filed for bankruptcy. But not before it cheated me of $150!

Despite being sued and going bankrupt, the company continues to cheat customers like me out of their rightful rebate money and it continues to remain in business. The laws are not strong enough to protect the customers. When that is the case, the customers should protect themselves. Avoid losing money like I did. Do not buy anything from the two websites run by Inphonic: A1wireless.com and Wirefly.com.

I bought a cell phone from A1wireless.com. They were supposed to pay me $100 and $50 as mail-in rebates. I fullfilled all rebate conditions to the letter. In fact, in early Nov 2007, I was even able to visit their rebate status website and see that my rebate submissions had been checked and approved, and I'd be getting cheques soon. Just a day or two after I checked my status, when I visited the website again, the only thing I could see was a lame message about the company filing for bankruptcy. The message has vague verbiage about some communication going out to customers expecting rebates, but I have received no communication so far. Calling the rebate status phone lines is of no use because they all play the same recorded bankruptcy message similar to the one put up on the rebate site. Calling the sales lines is of no help - you will only get to talk to Indian call center people who pretend to be dumber than donkeys. So far, there has been no cheque or any communication regarding my rebates.

When Inphonic is not fulfilling its mail-in rebate obligations to old customers, how can the company continue to do business, offering similar mail-in rebates to new customers? Like I said before, the law is not protecting the interests of citizens. Don't lose your hard-earned money to these crooks. Do not buy from them. In most cases, you can get the same or similar deals from more reputable sites like Amazon.com Avoid these guys for the frauds they are.

5 comments:

  1. Interestingly, my new cellphone was bought off from wirefly.com. And I am satisfied with it. But it did not involve mail in rebate, just instant rebate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nku,

    You are lucky to get instant rebate instead of a mail-in rebate. If any mail-in rebate offers are involved, don't buy from these websites. Warn your friends to keep off them also.

    LL

    ReplyDelete
  3. im thinking of getting a t mobile phone that includes a 100 dollar mail in rebate what do u think i should do

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jorge,

    Is the mail-in rebate being given by T-Mobile or by Wirefly? If it is from T-Mobile, you've got nothing to worry. Go right ahead and purchase the phone. Even if it is from Wirefly, I think you may be okay. You will probably get your rebate. Just make sure that you fulfill all the rebate conditions and documentation EXACTLY, and keep a copy of everything for your records.

    I think it's just a few of us who had submitted rebates before the company filed bankruptcy, that got screwed. Hope that helps.

    LL

    ReplyDelete
  5. WIREFLY are the biggest CROOKS on earth!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.