Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Ladies (in) Toilet

Have any of you guys visited the ladies' toilet? I have!

I read recently that boys over 5 years old are not allowed in ladies' toilets. The last time I visited one, I was 25 years old or so, and it was at my office. My client-manager from my last work place stood outside, being my look-out. When I came out, I found that she had abandoned her post to send some email! I am not sure if the cleaning woman saw me coming out of the ladies toilet. If she did, she never reported me. Yes, fact can be stranger than fiction.

When we went to the Grand Canyon last summer, there was a very long queue at one of the ladies' restrooms on the South Rim. In contrast, guys were breezing in and out of the men's restrooms. A couple of women could not wait. They just coolly walked into the men's toilet, muttering apologies and used the facilities. The expressions on the faces of some of the men there was funny. Imagine if a guy had entered the ladies' restroom like that. There would have been a huge hue and cry!

I don't know what those ladies felt about their visit to the smelly men's public toilet, but my visit to the very clean and sanitized ladies restroom in the office was interesting. I was impressed by the fact that not only was the ladies' room functionally different from the men's restroom (no stand-up urinals, for example), there were also aesthetic differences. There seemed to be better lighting, especially at the mirror. The mirror itself was kind of tilted. The upper edge of the mirror was a few inches away from the wall, as if the mirror was leaning away from the wall or falling off it. Why was the mirror set like that? So that the women could look at themselves as taller men might see them? So that women could have a better look at their cleavage? I have no idea. There were tubes and vials of creams and lotions on the counter.

As I said, when I came out, I found my look-out person had abandoned her post. Thankfully, nobody walked in when I was inside. Imagine a female co-worker coming in and finding me there! How would I have explained it? The explanation is quite simple, although I am not sure how convincing it is. I was in urgent need of using the facilities, but found that the men's toilet was being cleaned. My client-manager, who had offered to drive me home, was in a hurry to leave. She did not want to wait for the cleaners and then me to finish our jobs. Since it was late in the day and almost nobody was working on the floor, she suggested that I use the ladies restroom, while she waited outside to make sure some female co-worker did not enter while I was still in there. That's what happened.

5 comments:

  1. Maria,

    Of course, I don't kiss and tell. This is a case of "piss and tell"! :))

    LL

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes i had been to one 13 years back.. but by mistake... Since there was a male cleaner, cleaning to toilet, we thought that its a male toilet and we entered there....rest is history..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol @ piss and tell...
    Good to hear that your trip to the women's loo proved to be so 'interesting' and blogible material too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFL at "So that women could have a better look at their cleavage? I have no idea."

    Incidentally that IS one of the things we do.Or maybe it's just me.:D

    But seriously,I have no idea why we have the "almost falling" mirrors.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.