Thursday, January 26, 2006

Yin-Yang of Blog Comments

Warning: This is a very sexist post.

Recently I came across two blog posts by Yahoo's Jeremy Zawodny and Caterina Fake. They are both writing about the news article Yahoo! gives up quest for search dominance, and subsequent reactions by different people (for example, Microsoft's Robert Scoble). I am not writing about this issue in particular. What I found fascinating were the comments left by people on Jeremy's and Caterina's posts.

I am fascinated because the comments on those two blog posts follow a general trend I have noticed on a lot of blogs on the Internet:

1. When the blogger is a woman, there is a higher number of "Good post", "I agree", "You are right" kind of comments. The more attractive the female blogger appears in her pictures or sounds in her writings, the more such comments.

2. When the blogger is a man, the number of "Good post", "I agree", "You are right" kind of comments are very, very less... almost nonexistent. It doesn't matter how good the post is and how many people actually agree with the blogger.

3. Among people who leave comments, women are more likely to leave "Good post", "I agree", "You are right" kind of comments than men. I presume when women leave such comments, they are exhibiting the famous female networking, supporting and exchanging confirmations type of behavior.

4. There are a few men who leave such comments on the blogs of women who appear or sound attractive. I presume men do that because of their compulsive need to be seen or noticed by the attractive woman.

Disclaimer: I am making no insinuation whatsoever that the contents of the blog posts which get "Good post" and "I agree" kind of comments are not praise-worthy. I concede that they may be quite worthy of the appreciation and affirmations they receive.

Full confession: As a blogger, I do like it when people leave "Good post", "I agree", "You are right" kind of comments on my blog. I especially like such comments when the topic is controversial, and I have come under flak from others for what I have written.

Update on Feb 27th, 2006:
For those still not convinced: Check this post and the associated TWENTY-TWO comments for proof of my very first point above! It is just a MUG, for god's sake. But then it's no ordinary mug, for goddess's sake. It is some cute-looking demigodezz's mug!

Update on Apr 16th, 2006:
Here's something worth a look: Lifehacker’s guide to weblog comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.