Monday, January 30, 2006

Rang De Basanti - Movie Review

Rang De Basanti Poster "Absence makes the heart grow fonder". That was the message on my fortune cookie after the Chinese lunch Friday afternoon. Friday night, I saw the movie Rang De Basanti and experienced the truth in that statement.

The first half of the movie is full of the kind of fun you can have with your buddies in India, some spectacular shots of Indian locations - historical, urban, country, colleges, dhabas, roads, neighborhoods, interspersed with sepia-toned footage of a "movie" about Shaheed Bhagath Singh and his posse of freedom fighters. What can I say? We Indians are an emotional people. That heady mix of visuals, dialogs, nationalism, masti and music, all set in India, played my heartstrings every which way, making me very nostalgic, yearning for my country and my people, who are on the other side of the world

Ironically, during the second half, when the movie actually becomes serious, dramatically weaves in a real issue (not made-up for the movie) of national importance and actually talks about doing something to make the country better, my reactions were more sedate and subdued. May be it's just me. May be I respond to unstated, subtle stimulus better than in-your-face dialogs. I do have friends who told me that their conscience was affected by the second half of the movie. Whatever it is, I am glad that the the movie did not portray the overtly filmi, jingoistic, parochial version of nationalism, like most other movies do. Regardless of my paradoxical reactions to the first and second half of the movie, I did enjoy the movie in its entirety.

Wow! What a movie it is! This will probably turn out to be one of the best Indian movies of 2006. A clean, wholesome package of entertainment and drama, along with a patriotic social message. Sounds like a marketing message, doesn't it? But the movie delivers on it. The fact that it is an Aamir Khan movie is just the icing on top!

Rang De Basanti has the foundation of a great story (as any good movie should). A young female English filmmaker comes to India with the intention of making a movie on Bhagath Singh and his group of freedom fighters. The filmmaker has a very personal interest in the movie because her grandfather happened to be the jailer of Bhagat Singh's coterie, and he kept a very detailed and personal journal about their last days. She gathers a group of young Indians to play the roles of the freedom fighters in her movie. The youngsters seem to live only for the sake of having fun in life. They have a jaded, pessimistic attitude towards the country, its state and its current issues. They feel no tie to the country's past, and no concern for the future. They only want to ensure that today is great. (There is a line by Aamir's character in the movie which which sums up their attitude: If we have one foot on the past and one foot on the future, we will piss on the present in the middle!"). Nevertheless, playing the roles of Bhagath Singh and his friends in the movie-with-in-the-movie, seems to awaken a tiny seed in the conscience and hearts of the youngsters. And then, quite unexpectedly, the group of friends are faced with a very personal crisis which is tied to a matter of national importance. What will they do next? Will they let their original jaded-faded attitude dictate their actions, or will the tiny seed sprouting in their hearts grow into something big enough to rock the country? That is the rest of the movie.

In the interest of not spoiling the movie for those who have not watched it, I will not divulge anything more about the story. Just suffice it to say that it is good story, nicely presented, with excellent character portrayals. The movie could have been shorter and tighter, but we may overlook that minor detail considering that it is entertaining through its entire 3-hour length. The way elements of Bhagath Singh's story - including the characters and even some dialogs - are juxtaposed into the contemporary story of the movie's protagonists is very impressive and innovative. There were times when I got so involved in watching the interspersed footage of Bhagath Singh's movie, the movie-with-in-the-movie, set in pre-independence India, I forgot about the original movie set in contemporary India.

Aamir Khan shows once again why he is the greatest Khan of Bollywood movies. He plays the role of the youthful character DJ with style, aplomb and convincing sincerity. One cannot imagine any other Khan being able to play that role. But more delightful is the fact that the lesser-known actors who play the other roles in the movie put on a more convincing act than Aamir himself. Perhaps because I already know Aamir Khan as a star actor or perhaps because his character DJ is by nature prone to dramatics, I thought that the performance of the other actors was more realistic than that of Aamir himself. Siddharth in the role of the quiet, brooding Karan, and Atul Kulkarni as the chauvinistic, fire-brand Laxman Pandy, are both very impressive.

Apart from the length of the movie, there are a few other minor issues here and there, but I won't nitpick! It's a good movie. Worth watching again. Full paisa vasool!

10 comments:

  1. could'nt have agreed more on your review i have seen the movie and would urge ever indian to see it...

    loved the line: "koi bhi desh perfect nahi hota, use perfect banana padta hai"

    Sumit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review LL!

    Just missed watching the movie last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi..Wht a coincidence.. I have somethin gon Rang De on my blog too. We were all really glad we went for a amovie of "matter" against the crap we get to see all the other time...It did awaken me and I feel I can help in so many ways and I am currently just being selfish and doing the "pointing the finger act". Good job..!!I guess we have diferent movie posters..May be u can read mine...Not bad..the movie did stir "atta blog attitude"...:) and many other emotions too... Good description u have here.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved this movie.inspired me a ot more than anything ever has in my life. it helped me understand what those revolutionaries did in the past was just so great. it helped me reconnect the past with the present. also it gave me a purpose. someday i would definitely contribute in some way towards the betterment of our country. sounds too far fetched but we will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. random comment.
    i love rang de basanti, and i immediately fell in love with Sukhi [Sharman Joshi]. his character affected me the most. oveall, it's such a powerful, meaningful movie. the kind of movie you find yourself thinking about weeks after you've seen it.
    i've never been a deserter, in that i believed that india was down in the dumps, but i never really thought much about it, either, so i suppose it's the same thing. it inspired me in so many ways, and it's nice to find another fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How could you like the movie. What is the message?
    Youth of India... wake up kill including your parents!!!!
    Please lets not get carried away.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parents should behave as parents ..dude..not as spoilers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry but I do not agree with you totally.
    I watched the movie, enjoyed it but as a movie and not a soul-searching tool to judge my patriotism or an inspiration to do what was needed. This is because taking a life is not a lesson. Since we cannot give life we do not have any right to take it. What else can we do you may ask?
    I don't know but I do know that this kind of a lesson sends wrong messages. It is okay to murder the minister because he was involved in wrongdoings. Who decides whats wrong and right. Such ethical issues left to individual judgements is a poor basis for humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have asked so many people can some one tell me what is the meaning of "rang de basanti. what does it mean exactly ramesh

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ramesh - I am told rang de basanti means "paint it saffron / yellow". Apparently, saffron/yellow are the colors of sacrifice. You can Google for more comments and interpretations from other people.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.