Saturday, July 14, 2007

Most irritating about Microsoft Windows

I know what irritates me most about Microsoft Windows operating system: the way the focus can jump from one window to another without warning or control. There are no doubt bigger holes and issues in Microsoft Windows, but this one issue of uncontrolled focus-jumping irritates me several times every day.

Suppose you start a particular task or process in Window A - say, opening a particular folder or saving a document - and while this task is being performed, you navigate to another window B to do some other task there. The way the Windows operating system often behaves is that when the task or process in window A is completed, it automatically brings window A into focus, no matter what you are doing in window B. All of a sudden, you will find window A popping up in your face, replacing window B.

I hate this behavior. I work very fast at the computer. So, if some task takes too much time (more than 15-20 seconds, may be) in one window and it is not a really high priority task, I usually send the window to the background and switch to another task in another window. When I send a window to the background, I want it to stay in the background until I consciously navigate to it.

Instead, after a few moments, it will pop up into the foreground without warning. Due to this behavior, at times I end up typing stuff into the first window, that I intended to type in the second window. Sometimes I end up doing more damaging activities than merely typing - such as, saving or discarding changes when I did not intend to.

Anybody else hate this behavior of Windows?

6 comments:

  1. What's with all the technology posts, give us more of the ying yang stuff we love! Heck bring back "veggie lunches in America" even but I don't come here to read techie stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dump Windows, Get Linux.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try minimizing the window once you put the task in background. It most likely will not jump up when its done, then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, Saggi. I shall try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feels good to know I am not the only one with this quasi-neurotic hatred of focus-jumping. What unforeseen psychological damage could be done to us if it persists? Can you say abandonment issues? An increase in doemstic PC abuse? :)

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.