Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Butterfly Effect

Warning: This blog contains spoilers for the movie The Butterfly Effect. If you have not seen the movie and don't want your enjoyment of the movie to be spoilt, you might not want to read further.

It has been said something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world.
- Chaos Theory

I started watching the movie The Butterfly Effect last night and finished it today. It is Ashton Kutcher's serious movie. It is the story of a guy called Evan (Ashton's character). It is about his sad group of friends. It is about how certain key incidents in their shared lives, tragically determines the course of the rest of their lives. It is about how Evan discovers a method to go back into the past. Having discovered how to travel into the past, he travels back to each of the key incidents in his life. His intention is to slightly alter his own actions in those incidents and there by avoid the tragedy that follows.

The idea is good enough. Unfortunately for Evan, everytime he manages to avert one tragedy, something else happens that seems to be even worse. No matter what he does, he only seems to manage to harm his friends, family and himself.

Finally, towards the end of the movie... well, this is when the real spoiler comes. So, you still have time to stop reading further.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Still wanna read on? Alright. Towards the end of the movie, Evan finds out the only way to stop all the multiple tragedies he and his loves ones have experienced in the multiple versions of his life. He goes back to the very beginning, to the time before he was born, and kills himself in his mother's womb! The movie continues for a few more minutes to show how each of his friends and his family, manage to finally live a happy life instead of tragic ones.

Sad. To think that the existence of one person who really means well, who only wants to do good, screws up the lives of all the people he loves. And that his disappearance would make it all good for everyone.

Sad. But I understand how that can be. I have screwed up lives too, with what I thought were good intentions. I continue to screw up lives by my mere existence. By the very way in which I live. Almost every day, I do small things which metamorphose through the Butterfly Effect into big pain for others.

I wish I could go back to the very beginning too. And snuff it all out.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry but I think the person who made the movie must've been a cynic.
    The point of the movie,from what you describe it,should be,that if you've messed up,it's best to let things get sorted.When you KNOW you are in a messing up stage,you don't go back and do it again.

    It's only because someone didn't let time sort things out,that he had to try and defy (his)time(on earth)itself,by ending his life,that is.

    Let's not fall into the Kutcher trap,okay?And like I always say,people only get hurt because they've given you the right to hurt them.

    I don't know if this helps,but hugs,all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I continue to screw up lives by my mere existence. By the very way in which I live....I wish I could go back to the very beginning too. And snuff it all out.

    It was a moving movie but the idea that ones life is, from birth, the cause of sadness and unavoidably less value than everyone else-to the point of suicide- is bullshit.

    If your a bad adult thats one thing
    -stop-, but a child? No. Each has value and deserves life. And if someone is suffering not because what you do is wrong for you or unreasonable for humanity, if they suffer because of a false or unhealthy belief which they or another has taught them and it is beyond your ability to change-beyond sacrificing your own life- then it is not you.

    It has been some time since I saw the butterfly effect, but I remember thinking at the end that it was a wrong moral: that of two equal people, one should believe his life not equally worthy.

    Interesting "dating indian guys" post. Thanks. I always noticed that indian guys all wear the same outfit: tight thin white collared shirt and polester pants. Must be the uniform of india like jeans or khakis are american? I found your site after googling Geek Squad only because I like their commercials, including the little fast bassline theme and one of my favorite books is Geeks by jon katz
    ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0767906993/sr=1-1/qid=1146109831/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2806463-2155959?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books
    )and I'm a "geek" at heart if not training. also I have not been to best buy in years amazingly enough.

    good luck with those non-verbal signals and all.

    by "Mr.Civilization"

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.