Friday, April 13, 2007

Google's 411 rocks!

I tried Google's 411 service yesterday, and was mighty impressed. Just dialled 1-800-GOOG-411 (1-800-466-4411), and I was connected to the business I wanted to talk to in around a minute. The system understood my responses the first time, every time! It was my best encounter to date with voice recognition software.

My past experiences with voice recognition response systems have sucked a lot. I have been much frustrated, yelling the same thing over and over into the phone before giving up with disgust. So, it was a pleasant change to use Google's system. And the fact that I don't have to pay for the 411 service (directory assistance number in the US & Canada, for those of you who don't know what that is) ever again, makes it even sweeter!

Normally, the 411 service costs $1.28 over a landline and $1.57 over the cellphone. And, I read today that 411 is a $8 billion market in the US! Now, Google is offering this service for FREE (regular phone call costs apply, of course).

This service is highly recommended! Be warned though, Google says this service is still in the experimental stage and may not always be available.

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to write a quick note to let you know that I'm enjoying your blog. The pics of the Grand Canyon are lovely. That is still one of the most beautifully spiritual places I've ever visited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thts neat...I normally text msg to Googl with what I am searching for, and type in the zip code.

    That charges less, though this seems a better option too. Have to try and see how it works

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.