Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Radio Music Update for May 2006

These are the catchy tunes I like on the radio these days. I like these almost exclusively for the tunes. The lyrics don't have much good to write about and the music videos are not special either, being no different from the countless music videos already out there. You can watch the videos on Yahoo Music by clicking on the song title links below.

1. Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado. The first time I heard this song on the radio last week, the chorus made me think they must be playing some hit song from the 80's. But the song got my attention right away! I looked it up on the Billboard Hot 100, and found it rising rapidly. It was on rank 30 last week (and on 93 the week before, I think), and this week it is already on rank 9! It will continue to rise to become one of the top songs of this summer.
Update on June 9th, 2006: Wow! This song has been at No. 3 since last week, on Billboard Hot 100!

2. Buttons by the Pussycat Dolls featuring Snoop Dogg. I like the song, but we have to wait and see how big of a hit it becomes.

Other Pussycat Dolls songs I've enjoyed on Yahoo Music videos: Beep (my favorite PCD song), Don't Cha and Stickwitu (slower, romantic number).

Apart from their catchy songs, the main attraction of the Pussycat Dolls is their hot lead singer Nicole Scherzinger. Apparently, she is a Hawaiian-Russian-Filipino mix. But she could easily be one of those Indian supermodels who win beauty contests and then go on to movies. Nicole's photo on the Wikipedia link I have given here, does not do her justice (in fact, it doesn't even look like her!). You should watch the above videos to know what I am talking about.

3. Shakira's Hips Don't Lie is still going strong on the radio and on Yahoo music videos. However, it's moved down to rank 16 from it's peak of rank 13 on the Billboard Hot 100.

4. SOS by Rihanna enjoyed a very brief No. 1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 and then went down to No. 3 the very next week. It is a catchy tune, but I think it will fade out this summer because of the other hits that are coming up. Of course, it is not near the class of last summer's big hit Pon de Replay. Everytime I heard Pon de Replay last year, I was amazed by the singer's talent, and was quite surprised when I learnt that it was her first hit. As per Rihanna's biography on Billboard.com, the only thing which kept Pon de Replay from the No. 1 spot was Mariah Carey's We Belong Together. Rihanna's Unfaithful is another song which is doing well (Billboard rank 14 this week). It is a slower song, nice to hear. The video for Unfaithful is not available on Yahoo Music.

5. Update on June 9th, 2006: Cassie's latest song Me & U sounds really nice and is on No. 7 this week, on the Billboard Hot 100. I love listening to this song on solitary drives in the evenings. Unfortunately, the video is not available on Yahoo Music. However, you can listen to the song on the Official Cassie site.

1 comment:

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.