Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Vegetarian Lunch in America

A lot of folks back home in India ask me about what I eat in the US. Since I am a vegetarian (no meat, no seafood, no eggs) and America is a place where people predominantly eat meat, people back home are curious about what I eat, if not Indian food all the time.

I have also noticed that Indian guys who come to the US (or any Western country) for the first time, confine themselves almost exclusively to Indian food and miss out on the delightful culinary diversity that the US has to offer. If the guys are vegetarians, they suffer even more.

So, I am going to start a series of posts in which I will write about vegetarian lunches I eat here in the US. When I pack my own lunch, I usually pack Indian food. I will probably not blog about them. However, I eat out half the time or more, and when I eat out, I usually don't eat Indian. I will blog about those non-Indian vegetarian lunches in America, with pictures. We'll see how this goes.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting..Would like to know n maybe eat them...But I miss the spice in any type of American food....:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in a large university community with a large Indian population, I observe the Indian guys shopping for groceries... almost always potatoes, cauliflower, rice, beans, leeks, onions, milk, and never any meat. They look thin as rails (some envy on my part) but I often wonder if they are getting enough nutrition. How does vegetarianism work?

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.