Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Vegetarian Lunch in America 6: Baja Fresh Grilled Veggie Burrito

Baja Fresh Grilled Veggie Burrito(Click for bigger pics)

Today's vegetarian lunch: A grilled veggie burrito from Baja Fresh, with a side of tortilla chips, hot red salsa, pico de gallo (mix of fresh chopped tomatoes, onions, chillies, cilantro, etc.) and marinated yellow chillies. And of course, my favorite hot sauce for mexican food, the Cholula hot sauce.

The grilled veggie burrito at Baja Fresh is the most consistently yummy burrito I have had. It is a rolled flour tortilla (very similar to the Indian chapathi) filled with grilled peppers, chilies and onions, pinto beans, melted jack and cheddar cheese, lettuce, pico de gallo and sour cream. It is served cut in half, with a side of tortilla chips.

Cost: $5.24 (includes $0.39 tax), about 230.56 Indian Rupees.

Vegetarian alert: In many Mexican restaurants the Spanish rice and refried beans are made with beef or chicken stock, and in some places, even the chips could be fried in beef lard. I have checked that the pinto beans at Baja Fresh are not cooked with any animal products. Similarly the chips are not fried in lard either. Of course, the usual warning about animal rennet in cheese applies.

Background: Vegetarian Lunch in America.

2 comments:

  1. Baja Fresh is my favorite fast food joint. I love the fish and shrimp tacos...on flour tortillas...with lime AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good round up on veggie foods in America, especially for people like me....fussy about the restaurant food here....with many doubts raising in mind whenever I eat out....what if the fries are fried in beef oil and so on..and so forth.
    One of my American friends had told me that the beans served in this particular Mexican restaurant contained beef....huh the only non-Indian food I like eating and there is adultery (in my sense) even here!

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.