Monday, May 08, 2006

Vegetarian Lunch in America 4: Taco Bell No. 6 With No Meat

Taco Bell Chalupa Taco(Click for bigger pic)

Today's vegetarian lunch: It is "No. 6 with no meat"! It is a Taco Bell meal deal, number 6 on the meal menu at the Taco Bell I visit. It contains two chalupas, one hard-shell taco, plus a large 32 Oz Pepsi cola, full of sugar and caffeine. I grab lots of Fire sauce and a few Hot sauce sachets on the side.

Chalupa: It is very much like a thick soft Indian puri (deep fried flat flour bread), which is folded in half with fillings. The standard main filling is ground beef, but I ask for beans instead of the beef. The additional fillings include sour cream, shredded lettuce, a blend of three cheeses — cheddar, pepperjack, and mozzarella, and diced tomatoes. The chalupa is on the right in the picture above.

Taco: The hard-shell taco that comes with my meal is a fried flour or maize semi-circular shell, which is about as hard as a potato chip. The standard filling in the taco is ground beef, but I substitute that with beans. The additional fillings include shredded lettuce and cheddar cheese. In the above picture, the taco is on the left.

Cost of the meal deal: $4.64 (includes $0.35 tax), about 204.16 Indian Rupees.

Taco Bell is a Mexican-style (not authentic Mexican) fast food chain, quite popular in the US. This is the first fast food chain I visited in the US. If my life style is such that I don't make my own lunch daily, I visit Taco Bell about once every 2 or 3 weeks. I like Taco Bell for two reasons: (i) almost any item they have can be made with no meat; (ii) they are available across the length and breadth of the country, which makes them very convenient when I am travelling in some strange place and want to quickly find something familiar and vegetarian-safe to eat. The only other fast food places I go to are Subway (quite rare) and Baja Fresh (about once in 2 weeks).

Vegetarian alert: My Taco Bell meal today had no meat and no eggs. Even the cheese was not made with animal rennet as per Taco Bell's website. In many Mexican restaurants the Spanish rice and refried beans are made with beef or chicken stock, and the chips are fried in beef lard. I have checked in person as well as on Taco Bell's website that their beans and rice are not made with any animal stock. When ordering at Taco Bell, just ask for any item with "no meat". If you ask for beans, they will add it instead of meat for no extra charge (most Taco Bell places substitute beans or suggest it without your asking). If you want to avoid Taco Bell items with eggs or any other allergens, check this chart. Most importantly, before you take a bite or take away your Taco Bell food, check for yourself that there is no meat in it. Sometimes there is a mistake in the kitchen and you can get meat in your food, although you asked for "no meat".

Background: Vegetarian Lunch in America.

7 comments:

  1. most taco bells refuse to substitute beans claming they will burn their fingers and its against company policy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you going a little crazy with this vegetarian shit? You drink milk don't you? How about eggs?
    Although it is a personal choice, I find vegetarianism getting to be quite militant these days. Being a vegetarian, I have accepted the happy reality that meat is only protein--it could be eggs or milk or chicken whatever. BTW, if you have ever enjoyed Thai food, the vegetarian kind, please let me know. I have tales to tell you that will make your veggy toes curl with fear. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. doddi buddhi - "little crazy", "lot crazy", "little buddhi", "no buddhi" are all subjective matters. So, let's leave that aside, shall we?

    My vegetarian lunch series is intended to help and give some ideas to vegetarians who come to the US from India, and think home food or desi restaurants are their only choice.

    Vegetarians are not any more militant than non-vegetarians. In fact, in my personal experience, non-vegetarians are more militant in trying to push their diet choices on others. They are also less considerate and less understanding of others' diet choices and sensitivities.

    I have been a non-vegetarian before. I have watched animals being slaughtered, drained of blood and skinned. I have helped in cleaning and preparing, animals, fish and fowl, to be cooked. After turning vegetarian, I have fished out pieces of chicken from my "veggie" soup in Thai restaurants and "vegetarian" biriyani in Indian restaurants. I am aware that most Thai dishes contain fish sauce which gives them their distinctive flavor. Now, I'd love to hear your tales of vegetarian Thai food, regardless of whether they'll make my toes curl or not.

    While I want to hear whatever information you have to share, if your intention is simply to start another veg vs non-veg "discussion", I urge you to simply drop it. I have do not have the time or desire to get involved in another one of those never-ending, pointless discussions.

    PS: Sure, meat is only protein. Meat is also only made of molecules of carbon, water, etc. So, are a lot of other things in the world. But you wouldn't eat them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi LL
    I have no beef with you:) Thank you for putting it all in context. I have gone through the same stages of eating meat and discarding it and then taking a tolerant view of it. That's Small Buddhi eh? LOL

    Thai food routinely uses shrimp paste and sometimes fish sauce in their curries and other dishes. It is Thai-style "vaggaraney" :)

    As a fellow Libran and also being a patron of arts and ladies, I would like to say, all vegetarians having oral sex are non-vegetarians. This means ladies sucking on 'sausages' of their men friends and men eating 'oysters' of their lady lovers! :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey just so you know, I've heard the sour cream has getatin, made with some animal byproducts.. I'm a vegetarian too but if it tastes good, i'm not going to refuse it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, all the taco bells I've ever been to substitute beans with meat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the info bro
    Its very helpful
    I order crispy potato taco which contain just potato and lettuce

    ReplyDelete

Please do not comment as Anonymous. Please use a name when commenting... even a false one will do! :-) You don't have to register to use a name.